Rise Architecture/Interior Design Internship + Stipend
Hickok Cole is a forward-focused design practice connecting bold ideas, diverse expertise, and partners with vision to do work that matters.
For 35 years, we’ve worked hard to design projects that inspire change and leave a positive impact, bringing the best of our creativity and expertise to every opportunity across our diverse architecture, interior design, and creative branding practice. We’re at our best working as part of a team pushing the boundaries of design—the more ambitious, the better. These collaborations have resulted in 300+ awards, record-breaking real estate transactions, and the first mass timber and net-zero renovations in Washington, DC.
In 2022, we became a Just organization and received our first label from the International Living Futures Institute. This grassroots initiative set out to demonstrate the firm’s commitment to building a more inclusive workplace and resulted in a transparent representation of our mission in action.
To elevate Black design voices by empowering emerging professionals and providing financial assistance to reduce barriers for entry into architecture and interior design careers.
ABOUT THE RISE PROGRAM
The Rise Internship + Stipend is awarded to one applicant annually. The selected recipient will join Hickok Cole for an eight-to-ten-week paid internship program. Interns will gain the valuable work experience required to be competitive for entry-level positions upon graduation and be exposed to a broader network of industry mentors, peers, and organizations. Upon completion, they will be awarded a $5,000 stipend to allocate towards university-related expenses such as tuition, fees, textbooks, and emergency funds needed to cover current semester balances.
The Hickok Cole Rise Internship + Stipend is open to:
- Black and/or African American students currently enrolled in an architecture or interior design university program;
- Rising 4th or 5th year architecture students or graduate students, OR;
- Rising 3rd or 4th year interior design students or graduate students
- Applicants must be legally able to work in the United States
- Announcement + Applications Open: December 1, 2022
- Applications Due: February 10, 2023 @ 5:00 PM EST
- Decision: March 10, 2023
- Internship: Summer 2023 (May – August, dependent on recipient’s class schedule)
- Stipend: Delivered upon completion of internship
Interested applicants should submit the following by 5:00 PM EST on February 10, 2023:
- Design portfolio
- Responses to the following prompts (150-200 words each):
- With our mission in mind, share your vision for the future of architecture and/or design.
- What does work that matters mean to you as an aspiring architect and/or designer?
- Why is inclusivity essential to great design?
- Two letters of recommendation
The Rise Program is managed by Hickok Cole and may be subject to provisions of the recipient's University and state and federal laws.
At the completion of the recipient’s internship, they will be awarded a $5,000 educational stipend to be used at their discretion for university-related expenses such as tuition fees, textbooks, and current semester balances.
The student's university may make appropriate announcements to the public and media through internal and external publications.
The Hickok Cole Rise Internship + Stipend will be awarded to students who demonstrate excellence in the Schools of Architecture, Planning, and Interior Design. The award will be based on academic achievement and application quality. It is under Hickok Cole's discretion to award.
Portions of the winner's essay response may be used to promote the program and make appropriate marketing announcements to the public, media, and Hickok Cole employees.
WHAT WE OFFER
- Remote Work (up to 2 days a week) + Flexible Schedules
- Mentoring Program
- Company Laptops + Standing Desks
- Annual Wellness Month
- Monthly Team Happy Hours
- iLAB Research Microgrant Program
- Annual Summer Picnic + Holiday Party
- Fully Stocked Model Shop
- Dedicated Virtual Reality Space + Tools